The Civil 3D and InfraWorks software from Autodesk, a multinational developer of software products and services for architecture, engineering, construction, and other industries, will be released in 2022. The new software features and upgrades, which are distributed through WorldsView across Southern Africa, allow customers to create more complex designs without sacrificing accuracy. The following new features have been added to Civil 3D:
- Grading Optimisation (which facilitates smooth grading of various land areas and round structures by means of optimisation algorithms) now accommodates user-imposed constraints, such as grading and drainage elements. It also enables real-time problem-solving as the user can stop and change designs during the optimisation process.
- Users can now extract design data and export it to custom reports or AutoCAD tables, thanks to the enhanced Project Explorer user interface. Additionally, it now supports local languages, making it more widely accessible.
- Connected alignment functionality now offers an expanded range of geometric options including multi-arc curves or spirals. This allows users to design more complex road interchanges, with greater ease, for example.
- Enhancements to pressure networks allow for the colour and diameter of the compass to be specified when laying out a path-based pressure network. Additionally, pressure network spanning labels can be easily created and points of vertical intersection (PVIs) can be removed from overridden station ranges for a cleaner design.
Complementing the Civil 3D improvements, the 2022 release of InfraWorks now features the following enhancements:
- An enhanced road decoration tool, complemented by a large library of decorations. These allow users to create more realistic landscape environments when designing models, generating stronger design visuals for stakeholders.
- Bridge girder modelling capabilities have been expanded, allowing for more complex parametric 3D bridge girders to be modelled. This allows users to create models that reflect requirements and limits of disturbance (LOD) more easily and quickly than before.
The two software packages work well together, as Civil 3D facilitates infrastructure design and documentation, while InfraWorks aggregates data, evaluates design concepts visually and communicates design intent.
“The 2022 software enhancements will give designers, engineers and contractors the tools to build better quality infrastructure, with greater ease. The accuracy and control that are afforded by the Autodesk suite, set it apart,” says Chelsey Turner, Infrastructure Marketing Manager, WorldsView.
WorldsView is Autodesk’s value-added distributor across South Africa.